Deadline: April 20, 2023
Canada Fund for Local Initiatives (CFLI) – Madagascar 2023
The Canada Fund for Local Initiatives (CFLI) is a program designed to support small-scale, high-impact projects in developing countries, which align with Global Affairs Canada’s thematic priority areas for engagement.
The program is directed at projects conceived and designed predominantly by local partners. Projects are selected and approved by the relevant Canadian embassy or high commission. The CFLI also serves to support positive bilateral relations between Canada and recipient countries and their civil societies, by deepening contacts and supporting local endeavours.
The purpose of this process is to select approximately 4-5 projects to be implemented between September 2023 and February 2024. All project activities must normally be completed by February 28, 2024. Projects spanning two fiscal years may be considered on an exceptional basis, depending on the project’s objectives and complexity.
All projects must align with at least one of the following CFLI thematic priorities:
- Inclusive governance, including diversity, democracy, human rights and the rule of law.
- Growth that works for everyone, including women’s economic rights, decent jobs and entrepreneurship, investing in the poorest and most vulnerable, and safeguarding economic gains.
- Gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls.
- Human dignity, covering health, education and nutrition.
Within these thematic areas, the High Commission of Canada in South Africa will prioritize projects with a specific focus on one or more of the following:
- Lowering the incidence of gender-based violence.
- Encouraging civic participation by members of marginalized or under-represented groups.
- Improving access to food, water, and healthcare for vulnerable populations.
- Enabling greater participation in digital and low-carbon economies.
- The average CFLI contribution is $30,000 to $40,000 Canadian Dollars.
Eligible recipients include:
- Local non-governmental, community and not-for-profit organizations,
- Local academic institutions working on local projects,
- International non-governmental organizations working on local development activities,
- Intergovernmental, multilateral and regional institutions, organizations and agencies working on local development activities,
- Municipal, regional or national government institutions or agencies of the recipient country working on local projects, and
- Canadian non-governmental and not-for-profit organizations that are working on local development activities.
How to Apply
- Stage 1: Expressions of Interest are due by April 20, 2023 at 16:00 (GMT+2).
- Failure to submit an Expression of Interest form by this deadline will result in your application not being considered.
- To obtain an Expression of Interest form, contact the CFLI Coordinator by email at [email protected] no later than April 19, 2023 at 23:59 (GMT+2).
- Stage 2: Shortlisted candidates will be notified by email by May 12, 2023, and will be invited to submit a more detailed Project Proposal.
- The Project Proposal form can be accessed here: Canada Fund for Local Initiatives (CFLI) Project Application for Funding Form
- Do not send them a full Project Proposal unless or until you have been invited to do so.
- Expressions of Interest and Project Proposals must be completed in English or French.
- Expressions of Interest and Project Proposals must explicitly answer all questions on the forms provided by the CFLI team, including the required gender-based analysis. The proposed project budget should summarize the proposed activities and associated costs.
For more information, visit CFLI Madagascar